Before you write any content, spend some time anticipating what tasks you need to perform and make sure you have the time and resources to achieve your goals.
The following steps work for both small and large projects:
- Design the site structure
- Inventory existing content
- Plan the conversion of existing content into articles
- Map the planned articles to your structure
- Identify required new articles
- Repurpose existing content into articles
- Write new articles
- Proofread and edit
The most important planning task is identifying the scope of your documentation efforts and understanding the needs of your audience.
Presidium is pre-configured with a set of standard sections that are commonly used in software documentation. You can use this framework when starting to scope your project.